The WAC’s raid on the Southland means a fall farewell to Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Lamar, Central Arkansas, and Abilene Christian, bringing the Southland down to just six schools.
Sam Houston ended its league affiliation by winning the national title in the spring, earning the lone FCS playoff bid after winning the Southland Conference.
The reimagined Southland’s fall hopes rest mainly on a high-octane Southeastern Louisiana (4-3, 4-2) squad that just missed the spring playoffs, and a Nicholls (4-3, 3-3) team that saw its streak of FCS playoff berths end at three but remains talented.
Predicted Order of Finish
- Southeastern Louisiana. The Lions will make the playoffs if they get some stops.
- Nicholls. QB Lindsey Scott Jr. accounted for 25 TDs in seven spring games.
- Incarnate Word. Cameron Ward threw for 300+ yards in all six spring games for UIW.
- McNeese. DE Isaiah Chambers (7.5 sacks) can wreak havoc along the defensive line.
- Houston Baptist. The Huskies opted out of spring but hung with three FBS teams in fall.
- Northwestern State. Spring-closing 49-47 win over UIW kept the Demons from 0-6.
Rob Butler is a lifelong Texas A&M football fan – his family is full of A&M graduates. He graduated from Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas with two degrees – a BBA in Finance and an MBA. His hobbies include jogging and reading books pertaining to college football.