The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament bracket was announced on March 14th. The #1 overall seed was from a High Major in Gonzaga, who is the only undefeated team through the regular season.
The NCAA tournament begins Friday, March 19th with the four First Four games and will continue through to the national championship game on April 5th. The entire NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament will be held in the state of Indiana with the Elite Eight and Final Four games taking place at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
The Bulldogs are one of nine what we classify as High Major teams to get into the tournament. Two schools from each High Major conference received bids with the exception of Conference USA.
Houston was the next highest High Major seed with a #2 seed.
The High-Major conferences include the five conferences of the American Athletic, Atlantic 10, Conference USA, Mountain West, West Coast, and Missouri Valley conferences.
Only one bid per conference was given to what we classify as the 19 Mid-Major conferences.
The Mid-Major conferences include America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, and Western Athletic conferences. NOTE: the Ivy League did not participate in the 2020-21 college basketball season this year.
List of bid for the High and Mid-Major conferences:
- America East — 1 (Hartford)
- American — 2 (Houston, Wichita State)
- Atlantic 10 — 2 (St. Bonaventure, VCU)
- ASUN — 1 (Liberty)
- Big Sky — 1 (Eastern Washington)
- Big South — 1 (Winthrop)
- Big West — 1 (UC Santa Barbara)
- Colonial — 1 (Drexel)
- Conference USA — 1 (North Texas)
- Horizon — 1 (Cleveland State)
- Ivy — 0
- Metro Atlantic — 1 (Iona)
- Mid-American — 1 (Ohio)
- Mid-Eastern — 1 (Norfolk State)
- Missouri Valley — 2 (Loyola Chicago, Drake)
- Mountain West — 2 (San Diego State, Utah State)
- Northeast — 1 (Mount St. Mary’s)
- Ohio Valley — 1 (Morehead State)
- Patriot — 1 (Colgate)
- Southern — 1 (UNC Greensboro)
- Southland — 1 (Abilene Christian)
- Southwestern — 1 (Texas Southern)
- Summit League — 1 (Oral Roberts)
- Sun Belt — 1 (Appalachian State)
- West Coast — 2 (Gonzaga, BYU)
- Western Athletic — 1 (Grand Canyon)
Below is a full bracket:
Originally from LaMoure, North Dakota, Kent is a 1996 graduate of North Dakota State University. His prior writing experience is over 15 years having previously worked with D2football.com, I-AA.org, and College Sporting News before coming to College Sports Journal in 2016. His main focus is college football is the Missouri Valley Football Conference within the Division I FCS. And in 2017, he began also to look at the FBS Group of Five conferences of the American Athletic, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, and Sun Belt.
Reach him at this email or click below: